Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Witch Child

The Witch Child
By Celia Rees
2000
261 pages


Summary: When her grandmother is accused and found guilty of witchcraft, 14-year-old Mary flees to the Americas on a ship full of Puritans wanting to rid themselves of the world’s sin. Trying to be vigilant and not found out, Mary is taken in by a widowed healer in the community. But things are difficult to keep hidden in this new community, and when strange things start to happen people turn to the outsider of the group, Mary. How long can she hide her true nature, and when so far from home, where will she go if they find out the truth.

Review: The Witch Child is a polished novel that provides a full picture tale of what it was like for some people in Mary’s situation. Despite the small size of the book, Mary’s journey is detailed and precise. Readers get to see what it was like not only in the colony, but also on the passage from England. This unique perspective added an extra dimension to the novel. Mary herself was an interesting and likable character, easy to relate to despite the historical setting. Readers will be swept into her tale and feel as if they too are always on the verge of being discovered, as there was a lot of suspense. The only downside was that it had a bit of a slow beginning. A great choice for reluctant readers, teens looking for a book for an assignment or just those interested in historical fiction.

Also by Celia Rees: Pirates!, Fools Girl and Sovay

If you liked The Witch Child, you might also enjoy: The Sacrifice by Kathleen Duble, The Minister’s Daughter by Julie Hearn and Wicked Girls by Stephanie Hemphill

Additional Info: If you liked The Witch Child and want to know what happens to Mary, there is a sequel called Sorceress.

Non Fiction Connection: The Salem Witch Trials by Lori Lee Wilson

Author website: http://www.celiarees.com/index.html

Rating:
Writing: 3/4
Characters: 3/4
Plot: 3/4
Originality: 3/4
Popularity: 2.5/4
Cover Art: 2/4
Grade Level: J

5 comments:

Stephanie (Books Are A Girl's Best Friend) said...

Fantastic review! I've got this sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read and your review reminded me of it. Thank you :)

Cat @ Beyond Books said...

This one looks to be my cup of tea! I hadn't heard of it before, so thank you!

Chrystal said...

I didn't know there was a sequel. I have Witch Child in my TBR pile. I will definately have to look for the other title to pick up as well. :)

Katie said...

Stephanie - I got it at booksale, thinking 'how have I missed this'. It was pretty good, you should totally read it.

Cat - I'm suprised that I hadn't heard of it before either, but here it is :)

Chrystal - to be honest I probably wont read the sequal, but The Witch Child was for sure worth the read :)

Unknown said...

Hmmm... I read Sovay and really didn't care for it, but all of Celia Rees' books just look so darn good. Maybe I'll read Witch Child!?!

 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines Everyday Blessings kit