Thursday, March 17, 2011

Matched

Matched
By Ally Condie
2010
322 pages

Summary:
Cassia lives in a world where everything is decided for her, from her food to her future husband. She believes that it is for her benefit and so she blindly trusts The Society who makes all the rules. That is until there is a mistake at her Matching ceremony and two boys are shown on the screen instead of one, two boys who Cassia knows very well. As the secrets of The Society start to unravel, Cassie begins to wonder which version of her life is the real one; the safe and regulated one with her best friend or the one that challenges everything she’s ever believed.

Review: Condie does a great job of world building. She gives the reader enough detail to make sense of the story, but at the same time leaves things open to suggest that not all is as it seems. The book feels a little like The Giver, in that it is a controlled dystopia. There are also similarities in writing style. The author’s smooth writing style and attention to detail did fill out the novel, but at times resulted in slower pacing. With respect to character development, Matched did feel like a first book in the series. Other than Cassia, there wasn’t much attention given to the other characters. I am looking forward to how the relationships play out in the next novel, especially between Cassia and Xander (who I thought got the short end of the stick).

Also by Ally Condie: The Yearbook Trilogy, Being Sixteen and Freshman for President

If you liked Matched, you might also enjoy: The Giver by Lois Lowry, Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, Delirium by Lauren Oliver and Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Additional Info: The sequel Crossed will be released in November 2011

Author website: http://www.allysoncondie.com/

Rating:
Writing: 3/4
Characters: 2.5/4
Plot: 3/4
Originality: 2.5/4
Popularity: 4/4
Cover Art: 3.5/4
Grade Level: JS

5 comments:

Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

I definitely didn't love this one like everyone else seemed to. I did like it, but the slow pace nearly killed me at times. And I kind of loved Xander... definitely felt bad for him.

Diana said...

I love reading books dystopian novels, especially if there's a bit of romance (hopeless romantic, right here!)... thanks for sharing!
Diana

Unknown said...

Oh! My heart went out to Xander during this book. He definitely got the short end of the stick!

I thought Condie's world building was top notch.

Unknown said...

STILL haven't read Matched. Sheesh! However, I read the first couple of chapters in a book store and it immediately reminded me of The Giver!

I love how you suggested other read-alike books at the end of your post. That's something I always wish I did a better job of (or did at all!)!

Madigan Mirza said...

I agree, I thought this book was so similar to The Giver - but with more romance. I was surprised that so many reviewers seemed to love this one or hate it, because i loved it!

 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines Everyday Blessings kit