Monday, March 28, 2011

Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging

Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging By Louise Rennison 1999 255 pags Summary: Georgia has a 3 year-old sister who peed somewhere in her room, a cat who is insane, parents who embarrass her at every turn and a crush on a guy way out of her league. This hilarious novel follows Georgia, on the cusp of womanhood, as she attempts to survive high school and her first full frontal snogging. Review: This novel is quirky! It is told through hilarious and blatantly truthful diary entries, making it a fun and easy read. Readers will laugh out loud at the social awkwardness and embarrassing moments that befall poor Georgia. Despite the silliness, the novel is not without charm and sincerity. Readers will be drawn to Georgia’s honesty as she makes her way through early adolescence. The book is very British, and some younger audiences might stumble over the language. But if you can look past some of the strange sayings, there is a lot to love in this gem of a novel. Also by Louise Rennison: Withering Tights (June 2011) and the rest of The Confessions of Georgia Nicolson series Additional Info: Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging was made into a movie in 2008. Author website: http://www.georgianicolson.com/ Rating: Writing: 3/4 Characters: 3/4 Plot: 2.5/4 Originality: 3/4 Popularity: 3/4 Cover Art: 3/4 Grade Level Interest: J

5 comments:

Katie said...

I'm really sorry about the format of this review! I cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix it. Everything I does keeps it like this!

La Coccinelle said...

I seem to remember the copy I read having a glossary in the back for all those wacky British terms.

I really liked this first book. Pretty funny stuff. It eventually got old for me, though, so I never read past the third book in the series.

Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

Oh man, I love these books. If I started them now I would probably think they were a little young for me, but I started them in high school and thought they were absolutely hilarious. I still have a soft spot for Georgia's ridiculousness, though, and I actually just read 'Withering Tights' and I thought it was pretty awesome too, haha.

Eden the StorySnoop said...

I really enjoyed these books! As an adult, I found the Brit humor to be fantastic, and I let my slightly-too-young daughter read the first book, mostly because she didn't get half the language :-) LOVED the glossary at the back of each book.

Katie said...

La Coccinelle - I totally get where you're coming from, sometimes it was a little annoying to read!

Ashley - I'm going to have to check out Withering Tights!! Have you seen the Angus movies?

Eden - They are really funny. I didn't even get all the language :P

 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines Everyday Blessings kit