Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Passing Strange

Passing Strange
By Daniel Waters
2010
386 pages
Generation Dead Series: Book 3

Summary: The last we heard the Zombies had been attacked and had gone underground. Passing Strange diverges slightly from the series as it is told from beautiful Zombie Karen’s point of view. Karen is different from the other zombies. To begin, she’s the only suicide to ever come back to life, she always passes for a human and now she is starting to heal herself. Deciding to use her differences to her advantage Karen decides to pass as human and get close to bad boy Pete who she thinks set up her friends. As the pieces of both the zombie puzzle and Karen’s life come together, readers of the series will enjoy this new point of view.

Review: Initially I found the change in voice from Phoebe to Karen slightly distracting. Even though the chapters have always been split narratives, I found myself missing Phoebe and Adam’s story. I was never really attached to Karen as a character so I was disappointed that the series moved in this direction. However, by the end I found myself quite engaged, and I realize that the story could not have been as full without Karen’s point of view. The style of writing changes slightly to match Karen and it might take a bit to get use to, but overall I felt Passing Strange a compelling addition to the series. I hope there is another book soon.

Also by Daniel Waters: Generation Dead (1) and Kiss of Life (2)

If you liked Generation Dead you might also enjoy: Prom Dates from Hell by Rosemary Clement-Moore, Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley, The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong, Pride & Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith, Zombie Blondes by Brian James and Never Slow Dance with a Zombie by Enrich Van Lowe

Author Website: http://watersdan.blogspot.com/

Rating: W2.5/4 C2.5/4 P3.5/4 O3.5/4 PP3/4 CR2.5/4
Grade Level Interest: JS

0 comments:

 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines Everyday Blessings kit