Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Wings


Wings
by Aprilynne Pike
2009
294 pages

Summary: After being home schooled for most of her life, Laurel meets kind and sensitive David on her first day of high school. David is instantly attracted to Lauren’s quirky habits; she always has to be outside, she doesn’t like salt water and she only eats vegetables and fruit. Yet Laurel is anything from normal, when a blue flower starts growing out of her back Laurel finds out that she’s actually a faerie. When she returns to her old house she meets attractive Tamani, also a faerie, who helps her learn her heritage and charges her with saving her father and saving her land from evil trolls. Laurel will constantly have to choose between her faerie life and the human one she has always led and ultimately between David and Tamani.

Review: I’ve been holding out on reading a faerie book for so long, because I just find the idea so cheesy. However, I’m glad I started with Wings, because I thoroughly enjoyed it and it opened up an entire sub genre for myself. I liked Laurel as a main character and found her not only believable but completely relatable. I think it’s a feat to make a girl who has a blue flower growing out of her back relatable to the average reader. I thought the romance triangle, while predictable, was actually quite interesting. As far as world building goes, I thought Aprilynne Pike did an excellent job, and I thought it really innovative to have faeries be plants. The book is incredibly well paced, and is captivating from start to finish. For those who are a little hesitant about faeries, I highly recommend this book.

You might enjoy Wings if you like books with: a little bit of romance, fast paced plot, magical and fantasy elements,

This is Aprilynne Pike’s debut novel

Additional Information: Wings is the first of four books in a series with the second book Spells set to be released May 4, 2010. Fans will also be pleased to know that the film rights for the book have been picked up by Disney with Miley Cyrus as a possible cast.

Author website found here.

Rating: W3/4 C3.5/4 P3/4 O3.5/4 PP4/4 CR3/4
Grade: S

0 comments:

 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines Everyday Blessings kit