Thursday, April 14, 2011

From the Desk

Yay, my blog is back up and to celebrate we have a From the Desk!

One of my favourite things about being a Children and Youth librarian is that every morning someone puts on my desk all the new books that have arrived at our Branch for me to look over. It’s a really great way for me to know what we have in our collection, and I’m learning about all kinds of great new books.

Considering I don’t have time to read everything, I thought I would highlight some of the books that I find on my desk that look really interesting.

The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen - Jessica is a runner. It's her identity and the only thing she wants to do, but after a tragic car accident leaves her a partial amputee, she thinks that her life might as well be over. As Jessica tries to cope with physical therapy, adjust to using a prosthetic leg, and catch up on all the work she's missed in school, she has a revelation and decides that she will run again. This ultimately upbeat and inspiring story will keep readers who like tales of triumph over adversity (such as Bethany Hamilton's faith-focused memoir Soul Surfer) captivated (lpl)

1 comments:

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

Wow that sounds like an emotional read. Like the cover but not sure why. Thanks for sharing :)

 
Blog designed by Dreamy Blog Designs using Cré@Bisontines Everyday Blessings kit